Top '10' Hazardous Household Chemicals
by Richard Alexander
Most air fresheners
interfere with your ability to smell by coating your nasal passages
with an oil film, or by releasing a nerve deadening agent. Known
toxic chemicals found in an air freshener: Formaldehyde: Highly
toxic, known carcinogen. Phenol: When phenol touches your skin it
can cause it to swell, burn, peel, and break out in hives. Can cause
cold sweats,convulsions, circulatory collapse, coma and even death.
It is a very
volatile chemical, it is very damaging to your eyes, respiratory
tract and skin.
It is a strong
corrosive. It will irritate or burn the skin, eyes and respiratory
tract. It may cause pulmonary edema or vomiting and coma if ingested.
WARNING: never mix bleach with ammonia it may cause fumes which
can be DEADLY.
are designed to over power the stain itself, they accomplish the
task but not without using highly toxic substances. Some include:
Perchlorethylene: Known carcinogen damages liver, kidney and nervous
system damage. Ammonium Hydroxide: Corrosive, extremely irritable
to eyes, skin and respiratory passages.
contain chlorine in a dry form that is highly concentrated.# 1 cause
of child poisonings, according to poison control centers.
cleaners contain lye, hydrochloric acid or trichloroethane. Lye:
Caustic, burns skin and eyes, if ingested will damage esophagus
and stomach. Hydrochloric acid: Corrosive, eye and skin irritant,
damages kidneys, liver and digestive tract. Trichloroethane: Eye
and skin irritant, nervous system depressant; damages liver and
Highly flammable, can cause skin and lung cancer. Phenol: (see Air
fresheners, Phenol.) Nitrobenzene: Easily absorbed through the skin,
are: Sodium hypochlorite: Corrosive, irritates or burns skin and
eyes, causes fluid in the lungs which can lead to coma or death.
Formaldehyde: Highly toxic, known carcinogen. Irritant to eyes,
nose, throat, and skin. May cause nausea, headaches, nosebleeds,
dizziness, memory loss and shortness of breath.
(Lye): Caustic, strong irritant, burns to both skin and eyes. Inhibits
reflexes, will cause severe tissue damage if swallowed.
Triclosan: Absorption through the skin can be tied to liver damage.
Sodium or calcium
hypocrite: Highly corrosive, irritates or burns skin, eyes or respiratory
tract. Linear alkylate sulfonate: Absorbed through the skin. Known
liver damaging agent. Sodium Tripolyphosphate: Irritates skin and
mucous membranes, causes vomiting. Easily absorbed through the skin
acid: Highly corrosive, irritant to both skin and eyes. Damages
kidneys and liver. Hypochlorite Bleach: Corrosive, irritates or
burns eyes, skin and respiratory tract. May cause pulmonary edema,
vomiting or coma if ingested. Contact with other chemicals may cause
chlorine fumes which may be fatal.
the rest of the article
© 2012 Global