Sometimes, Homeschooling Ainít All itís Cracked Up To Be
The Survival Mom
by Lisa Bedford: 21
Things To Look for Every Time You Go To a Yard Sale or Thrift†Store
My kids and I finished our 8th year of homeschooling two weeks
ago. It was the very best year weve ever had, in spite of
being interrupted by endless sessions of editing my book and then
launching the book in March, complete with lots of interviews and
As I think about our 8 years as a homeschooling family,
I have to be honest. It hasnt all been happy faces and gold
stars. There are some downsides that not many of us like to talk
- At times, your children will be outsiders. They wont
be hip to all the latest fashion trends, video games, music, and
fads. Many of these are fun and harmless, but it will be your
kids who may seem like the odd man out because they wont
- Sometimes you will be the outsider as other moms talk
about the teachers at their kids school and which sports
their kids are into this year.
- There will be times when school will be no fun at all. For anyone.
- Youll have to listen to public school parents brag about
their kids being accepted into gifted programs and how great their
kids school is. You might detect a bit of defensiveness
but it wouldnt be polite to point that out.
- Sometimes virtual strangers will confront your decision to homeschool.
You cant shelter them forever, you know. Yes,
I was told that when I informed someone I would be homeschooling
- Youll spend a lot of time second guessing yourself:
- Should we have chosen that other curriculum?
- Am I doing enough?
- Am I doing too little?
- Are my kids well-adjusted?
- I thought homeschooled kids werent shy but my daughter
is. What did I do WRONG???
the rest of the article
© 2012 The
Best of Lisa Bedford